The first teapot was way too big. But the owner of my studio loved the size and asked if I could finish it for her as a gift. So I threw a lid and a spout and pulled a handle. Then I took navy blue underglaze (to match her dishes) and used it to make a wide band of color on the body. Finally, I carved an entire flock of cranes around the pot, similar to this mug.
This time I didn't add the effect of the water, since the background will be a deeper blue.
The second teapot was a bit smaller, but still too big for the commission piece. I finished it with a white underglaze band and added pink, purple, and light blue round sponge-stamped dots. It came out much nicer than I anticipated and it will be sold at a fundraiser for breast cancer research in November.
Third time was the charm. The pot was the perfect size and it's been decorated with a Moorish Jewish star pattern.
I keep forgetting my camera, so I don't have interim shots of the pots. But I'm hoping they'll be bisque fired by the time I get back from my 10 day trip (driving through the Southwest with my hubby). Then a quick coat of clear glaze and into the glaze fire for completion!